Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Beauty for the Busy {and cheap}

A little known fact about me.

I'm frugal.
Like.
A lot frugal.

I was that kid who saved every penny of my allowance. 
Then grew up into an adult who saved every bonus check. 
Every tax refund. 

But let's get one thing straight.
I may be frugal.
But I'm not cheap. 
{Well. Maybe a little cheap.}

I may know how to pinch my pennies. 
But I also know how to splurge. 
I do not hold back on life experiences. 
Things that provide forever-engrained memories.
I simply tend to have a hard time spending $$$ on...stuff.

Especially beauty stuff. 

So many products. 
So many services. 
So costing a small fortune. 

I like to *teasingly* remind Gabe how lucky he is. 
To have a wife who prefers drugstore cosmetics.
And refuses to spend a whole paycheck on my hair.
And who does not have the upkeep of tanning, waxing, and weekly mani/pedi's.

Not that I don't gawk over, appreciate, and occasionally splurge on pretty things. 
I sure do love a statement red lip.
Or a classic leather handbag. 

It's just that my frugality gets in the way.  
And I just really like simple

But I still want to look put together. 
Still feel beautiful. 

That being said. 
Beauty often goes to the wayside after becoming a mama. 
Because mamas lead busy lives. 
And if you're like me, you're busy and frugal. 
{A double whammy for bye-bye beauty}.

But just because I'm a mom does not mean I want to let myself go.
Oh no. 
I refuse. 

Luckily, I've found some simple and *reasonable* little treasures that are my recent beauty go-to's. 
All perfect for the 20 minutes I have to beautify myself.



1. The perfect accessory. In my case, I make sure to throw on my L-initial Alex & Ani bracelet. I never leave home without it. The perfect combo of fashion and sentiment. {I particularly love that the creator of these fun charm bangles is from Cranston, RI - my old stomping grounds!}

2. Pouty Pop of Color. Absolutely obsessed with Maybelline Baby Lips. One borrow from my best friend's handbag, and I was sold. A low-key chap-stick-like lip balm that provides a perfect touch of color. And it comes in vibrant, girly tubes - love!

3. Salty Beach Hair.  I envy people with really good hair. Unfortunately, I have been *blessed* with super-fine-yet-somehow-dries-with-a-slight-kink hair. It's like my hair can't figure out if it wants to be straight or wavy. I usually choose wavy. And I really prefer the soft, beach-wave look rather than the hard, crinkle-curl look. This sea-salt texturizing spray provides just that. And an added bonus? You can find it at Target. 

4. Keep-Me-Young Moisturizer.  I'm not sure at what point I started claiming moisturizing as my go-to beauty product. Oh wait. Yes I do. When I got old. And realized I'm going to be *ahem* 30 in 2 weeks. But seriously. I need me some quality face moisturizer. And I have tried just about every product on the market, even the pricey. Nothing tops good ol' classic Cetaphil. Nothing. 

5. Shimmer of Bronzer.  It's taken me 29 years. But I've finally embraced my fair skin. It makes me cringe to think of the days when I worked at a tanning salon and fake-baked. *Ugh* Don't worry though. I got smart and started spray-tanning. Until I finally I got smarter and embraced my God-given skin. But that doesn't mean I don't love me a slight brush of bronzer. I prefer Bare Minerals. Perfectly natural. 

6. Must-have Hair Tie. Back to the hair. Mine can be a bit unruly. So I tend to throw it up. A lot. Might as well be stylish if I'm going to keep it simple. I love the cute stretchy hair ties in all different patterns and colors. So fun. You can see one at all times on my wrist.

**In other news. I think this might be the first post I've done since Lyla's been born without a picture of her. 
It feels sacrilegious. 
Don't worry. 
The pictures are coming.


No comments: