Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Week-6-In-Review: The Unfortunate Peak


Week 6: 09/23/12 - 09/29/12



I'd love to say that this week, my *ahem* birthday week, was superb

That it was the best birthday yet.

That Chunkin and I had the greatest week to date. 

That I woke up every morning to my baby smiling and cooing at me. 

Nope.

Can't say any of those things. 

This very accurately sums up this past week:


And this:


Boom.

We got smacked with what is known as the sixth week fussy peak

And a growth spurt.

Oh. And, for good measure, go ahead and throw in a diagnosis of reflux.

Fun times.

Now. I can't really complain because to date, I have had a fabulous babe. I think that's what made this week so hard. I'm used to my baby looking right into my eyes, smiling, cooing, and playing throughout the day. Not to mention, she's a really fantastic sleeper. I didn't realize how wonderful all of these things were until they completely vanished this week. 

I kept thinking, "Seriously, where is my baby?"

I started researching and talking to friends and found that 6 weeks is a very common time for major fussiness. So, I just wanted to get through the week.

But toward the end of the week, I started to get concerned. She was not only fussy but she seemed to be in quite a bit of pain and discomfort. I called the doc, and she also reiterated the 6 week peak, but as she asked more questions, she said she was sure Lyla had reflux.

So we put the babe on meds. 

She felt better instantly. 

But that still didn't take away the fussiness.

Or the drowsiness.

This week was an endless cycle of fussing, screaming, eating, and sleeping. I swear she slept 20 hours out of the day. It felt like we were regressing to her first week of life - when she slept all the time. It just wasn't like her. 

Poor thing was not only struggling with reflux, but going through a growth spurt as well. Ugh. 

So. Hopefully next week looks a little better.

Cheers to six weeks.

Sweet Puddin' Pop,

Your sixth week you spent fussing and sleeping. It started to make Mommy sad. I missed my happy-go-lucky baby! Even cuddlng with Daddy and dressing you in cute outfits didn't help. Hopefully we just make it through this week...





I couldn't keep you awake for the life of me. Not even for Mommy's birthday dinner. You were just so sleepy.  Of course you woke up just enough to eat...







We tried so many different things this week to try to soothe you. You got lots of extra cuddles, extra hangout time with Mommy and Daddy, playtime with your brother, sitting you up in our bed, and strolling around in the Moby. 

Nakie skin-to-skin cuddle time - this always seems to calm you down. I don't mind. In fact, I love it. Check out those rolls!



Hanging with your best pal. You and Samson are just the best of friends. You could be so upset, and he will walk up to you, give you a kiss, and you calm right on down. 



Hanging with Mom and Dad. Sometimes, you just didn't want to be in your crib. You wanted to hang with us. On the couch. In our bed. In the Moby, snuggled right against Mommy. And I totally get it. It's because we're so super cool. 







But we did have some fun things this week too!

You went to a birthday party in the country. Sweet Breckyn turned 1, and she was so excited you were there. We can't wait for you and her to be besties! 





We went for our very first run as a family. Yep. The whole family. Even the pups. *And by run, I mean Mommy made it about 1/2 a mile. If that. Hey, you gotta start somewhere. 



Celebrated Mommy's Birthday. Ok, so even though this was your fussiest week to date, Mommy and Daddy still braved it and went out for the very first time...without you. We went to Newport Grill for my 29th birthday and left you with sweet Papa-Bear Tony. He said you cried the entire time. Poor thing (Tony AND you). Then you went out with the girls to celebrate my birthday at Il Vicino. It was so nice to get out and celebrate since Daddy worked on my birthday. 




And I got a couple of cute presents from my favorites. Came home to a present that made my day from Daddy. Then, later that night, I got a sweet little birthday message from YOU. 




So there you have it, Lyla Beans. That was your sixth week. It was a tough one, and I'm sure there will be many many more tough weeks. But we made it through. And I still have to say even our toughest could have been much worse. 

Here's to better weeks ahead! 





6 comments:

Brittany said...

I have been reading your blog and am one of Ali's friends!!! My little babe was the SAME way during weeks 6 and 7 - it's crazy how they are similar like that. Everyone I talked to said that their baby was fussy then to!

She's super cute and it does get better...Charlie is just 2 months and it's crazy a couple of weeks that makes the difference :) Hang in there!!!

Crystal Seed said...

So sorry that you had a tough week! It does get better!! She is just super cute, and that should make it all better, right? LOL!

Amy said...

I remember those days- we had it rough from weeks 5-8! (my daughter had reflux too). Hopefully you'll be over the hump soon! She sure looks cute while being grumpy though.

Emily said...

I don't even remember now how I found your blog, I've been a long time reader though. :) Just wanted to throw in my two cents. We were so very thankful for Colic Calm (found at CVS). It was ok'd by our pediatrician (though you would definitely want to check with your own if you decide to give it a try). It helps with reflux, gas, etc. It helped our gassy refluxing son SO much. Also, she may have some gas going on. Do you cycle her legs or try a gentle tummy massage? Also, our go to solution when our infants were inconsolable was the shower. We'd get in with them, and I think between the vibration of the water, the warmth, and the noise it always seemed to calm them. I hope your sweet girl cheers up soon! It's a rough stage, but this too shall pass!

Krista said...

Ang, she is so freakin' adorable I just can't stand it. Carson had reflux too. Wouldn't nap or sleep on his back for weeks. It's no fun, but it should get better. We used the gas drops religiously and he was off the reflux meds by 6 months. Hopefully, Lyla will be the same way! Hang in there, you're doing great mama!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that you've had a tough week, but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your blog! I'm 23 weeks pregnant with our first child, and I love reading your weekly updates about life with your beautiful girl! And, I noticed that your wedding and engagement rings look EXACTLY like mine :)