Tuesday, May 17, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I have a newfound MAJOR respect for stay-at-home-moms.

Well, for moms in general really.

This past weekend we offered to keep my cousins little ones while he had to go out of town for work.

And as my mother-in-law put it, the whole experience was "baptism by fire". Talk about a 24-hour-a-day job...we had to be on 100% of the time: playing, feeding, watching, breaking up arguments, consoling, waking up in the middle of the night with them. Luckily, the girls are adorable and extremely well-behaved, so it made for more of a baptism by friendly, well-contained fire.

A few highlights of the weekend:

1). Watching Mr. Ruby play with the girls, and seeing how much they ADORE him. And they sqeal, "Gaaave" when he walks in the door. His name is Gabe. So cute.

2). How they absolutely LOVED going to garage sales and the public library. I mean, you would have thought we were going to Disney World.

3). Listening to the most amazing sound in the entire world: their hysterical laughter. I could seriously put it on my ipod and listen all day.

4). Mr. Ruby coining the nickname "Little Girls" - this is what he called them all weekend.

5). Who knew a little neighborhood park could be so much fun?!?! SO fun in fact, that one of the girls forgot she had to go to the bathroom - we had to sprint to my parents house. Made it just in time.

6). Naptime. And by nap time, I mean mine. The moment their daddy picked them up, I told Mr. Ruby I was going to take a quick nap. My quick little cat nap turned into five hours. I feel asleep at 1:30 p.m. and woke up at 6:30 p.m. FIVE HOURS! I don't think I've done that since I was 7 years old. Mr. Ruby said he came in to wake me up twice: the first time I didn't move a muscle. The second time he said I mumbled something about "I don't want to go to the BBQ pit."

Exhausted, I tell ya.

All in all, it was a wonderful time. And it made both of us excited to have kids. Someday. But not quite yet. We still have a few more things we want to do before little ones.

Like taking a few more five hour naps.


Green Leaf. They were SO excited for pink ice cream.

Bed time. And yes, that is them watching cartoons in our freshly-drywalled basement.

Park time. I love how the little one's hair is flying. So fun!




5 comments:

The Shabby Princess said...

Ahhh, I love that the ywere calling him "Gaaaave!" that is so so cute!

Jamie Kubeczka said...

I bet you could sleep in for a week straight uh? Kids are a lot of work, but they make everything worth it. I bet your cousins had the time of their lives hanging with you all week. Cute pics!

Newlyweds on a Budget said...

Yeah, anytime I get the "I wanna have a baby" feeling, I babysit and it goes away. I love me my sleep! :D Sounds like it all turned out well!

sarahannnoel said...

Amen, sister.
I'm learning every day how MUCH MORE work being a SAM is than I thought!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a super fun weekend! And your nap sounds dreamy! I guess I'm going to be needing some naps like that in my future if I can squeeze them in :)