Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Rescue Update

It felt like Cesar Millan's household yesterday: Rescuing a dog. Socializing our dogs with the rescued dog. Taking three dogs for a walk.

But, I'm happy to announce we found sweet Lucky's home!!!

The owners got in touch with us yesterday and Mr. Ruby took him home sweet home. He was a sweet little guy, and we were happy to save him...but if we couldn't find the owners, three dogs would have been way too much!!! (Although Mr. Ruby would most definitely disagree).

Speaking of rescuing animals, it is seriously in my blood.

I can't stand the thought of a lost, homeless, injured, or needy animal.

I'm a sucker, really.

And I was reminded of this as I got an e-mail from my best friend last night.

So picture this: I went home for a wedding a few weeks ago and my best friend and I were driving to the rehearsal dinner. We had our cute little sundresses and high heels on. When suddenly I notice something up ahead crossing the road.

I yelled, "STOP, I think it's a turtle".

My best friend chuckled and replied, "We are not stopping in the middle of the highway for a turtle."

I begged. And begged.

So, my bff pulled on over and of course grabbed her camera. What a sight, right? Blond girl dressed up in heels pulled over on the side of the road to rescue a turtle.

That's exactly what I did. I went to the middle of the highway, stood for a minute contemplating how to pick the thing up, finally picked up the turtle, and rushed him to the side of the road.

How did the little guy thank me?

He peed.

The poor thing was so scared, he peed. All over. Like, everywhere.

I could absolutely not make this up if I tried.



16 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm guessing you were in Kansas... not many other places would consider that a highway! What AWESOME pictures!

sarahannnoel said...

WHY did we not hear this story IMMEDIATELY following your arrival at the dinner?!!

Kristen @ All In My Twenties said...

this is hilarious and i love that someone took pics to document it!!! love it!

Unknown said...

I just LOVE that you have a picture of him peeing! And this is considered a highway? Don't ever come to Jersey...you'll freak!

Tickled Pink Mandy said...

haha love that you have pics to document!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw poor little turtle!!!

Kassie said...

These pictures are seriously hysterical! Why didn't you put them up to begin with?! :) My friend does this same thing: she'll stop the car to take sea turtles back home all the time!

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

YAYYYY for a turtle rescue! I am a big advocate for Saving the Turtles. Now the peeing thing... that wasn't very nice of him, haha!

LauraAnn said...

OH.MY.GOSH!!! I am dying laughing as I read this story and look at the pictures. So glad that your friend documented the rescue! But seriously, that is so sweet of you to rescue that poor turtle!!!

And way to go on helping that poor puppy!!! Glad he was able to go back to his family!

Mrs. Lopez said...

YAY Im so glad you found the owners! You are such an awesome person!

Carrie said...

YAY! Glad you found Lucky's home! That turtle picture is HILARIOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

AHHHH HAHAHHA! That is too funny! Good for you for saving the little guy though!!! I LOVE turtles!!!

Alison said...

Hahaha! Poor little turtle! I'm so glad you saved it. :)

Anne @ Sincerely, Britches said...

Since marrying my hubby we've managed to rescue a couple dogs and a sheep (yes, sheep) from the middle of the road. I will forever have the mental picture of him picking up this 75 lb sheep and carrying it back to the field...in his church clothes no less. What a guy! :)

CBC said...

My first though was OMG, you got out in the highway?! But then I remembered you were in Kansas and you probably meant like random unused highway. And i laughed out loud over that picture - good work for L getting the perfect shot! Only you.

Sherrie said...

OMG I am ROTFLMAO I am so glad your friend was able to capture that on photo. PETA would be so proud of you. :)