Thursday, July 9, 2009

You seriously want to talk to me right now?


Need someone to talk to? I'm usually your gal. 

I used to be called Chatterbox as a kid. 

I can talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime. In fact, I've been known to talk to myself or even brick walls. 

What can I say, I'm a talker.  

However, there are three instances in which I do NOT want to be spoken to:

1). When I'm on an airplane. (Why is it that people never get the hint when I have my nose buried deep in a book or my eyes are closed?)

2). When I've had a bad day or am overly stressed out (This doesn't happen often). 

3). When I'm working out. 

So, let's talk about #3.

Is it really that odd that I don't like to carry on a conversation at the gym? Don't get me wrong...a cordial hello is just fine with me. But please do not carry on a full blown conversation with me. 

For starters, I look like a hot mess. My hair is usually ratty, or pulled back so tightly that I could pass for a balding man. I sweat so much that I look like I just went white water rafting. And my face is red as a freshly boiled lobster. Oh, not to mention that I look quite pathetic because I'm generally panting at the end of my workouts.

Well, tonight, Mr. Worst Nightmare was on the Elliptical next to me. I did everything but blow smoke signals and flat out yell at the man to kindly shut up. He ignored all of my hints. I even stopped talking altogether at one point. He carried on a full conversation for over twenty minutes. And by conversation, I mean that he was asking me series of questions that required in-depth answers. 

What made it so odd is that I see this gentleman at the gym often, and he never gives me the time of day. (This is what I prefer). Well, earlier today he saw me dressed in a suit walking around with interview candidates and walking up to our executive floor. When he saw me at the gym he said, "Hey, I saw you today!" (Do I need to mention that on top of being a conversation extraordinaire, he is quite observant as well?)

Thus began our twenty minute conversation...ugh. I am avoiding Mr. Nightmare at all costs from now on.

10 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I agree....a cordial hello and goodbye at the gym. No full conversations unless your already done and walking out.

Confessions of a Northern Belle said...

I totally agree that when I work out and fly my sole purpose is not to make new friends!

The France Family said...

Totally agree!

LauraAnn said...

That is so annoying! People aren't at the gym to make friends or pick people up (well, some are but I won't even get into that). I am usually already breathing pretty hard on the elliptical so the last thing I want to do is try to talk to someone while panting which leads to gasping for air in between words/sentences. I don't get it! Good luck avoiding Mr. Worst Nightmare!

PinkSass said...

I feel the same way. I'm not at the gym to talk. I have my ear buds in for a reason.

Dionne said...

I am with you - no gym conversations! It's a place to work out, not make new best friends! It's annoying when people don't get the hint.

Lucky in Love said...

I HATE talking to people at the gym. I go so far as to wear my headphones at all times AND avoid eye contact with people just so I don't have to. I'm sure everyone thinks I'm "that rude girl that never smiles" but I'm really just there to get my workout on and go home, you know? :)

Shoshanah said...

I'm not a big fan of talking to people on planes either. I normally put my ipod in as soon as possible, and how that gives people the message I don't really want to be having a conversation

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Ugh, one of my all-time biggest pet peeves. If you can carry on a conversation with me, you're not working hard enough!

Unknown said...

I hate this!! How can people not get the friggin hint?!!? It always blows my mind. Always.... -e