Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Medical Anomaly and Vent Session

Yep. I've done it again. I broke medical records. Well...almost. 

So, I went to the doctor yesterday to treat a minor cold. I left with a Z-Pack and a trip to the cardiologist. 

Always my luck.

Let me give you some background. For the past few years, I've struggled with dizziness. I've been tested for everything under the sun, and when I lived in Texas, my doctor ruled everything else out with blood tests and told me that it was because I had fairly low blood pressure. 

So, I'm at a new doctor yesterday. The nurse takes my blood pressure and makes the comment that it's a little low. I told her that it always is, and she asked if I ever had an EKG done. I hadn't, so she said just to be safe she would do one. 

So, she put the little patches all over my body. The results printed out and I heard her say under her breath "Hmm, that's funny..." And she left the room. I then heard the Physician Assistant say "That can't be right, you probably had the patches on backwards". 

So, she did it again. Same results.

This time, the doctor came in. He told me he doesn't think it's a big deal, but he wants me to go to a cardiologist to make sure. He said that my heart was beating somewhat slowly, and he had never really seen an EKG with the results I had. He said "It might just be how your heart beats".

Of course. This is probably the third time I've been to the doctor when they say something along the lines of "We've never really seen this before". Story of my life.

So, I'll keep you updated on the results. Not too worried!
*************************************************************************************

THEN...

So, tomorrow I have a half-day at work because I leave to go HOME to Kansas!!! Now, keep in mind, everyone knows I've had a countdown for my first vacation and first time home in 7 months. 

My boss proceeds to tell me that the Monday when I return, I will be giving an hour-long, 50 powerpoint slide presentation with him to a large group of people. Oh, and the CEO and executive vice president will probably be there. 

Keep in mind, I am going on VACATION tomorrow. And I don't return until midnight Sunday night. 

If you do the math correctly, this means I will have to spend MY VACATION stressing about this presentation and preparing for it. 

How is my blood pressure so low? Seriously. 

13 comments:

Shoshanah said...

That sucks that you have to worry about the presentation your whole vacation. But I hope you still manage to have an awesome trip home!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Ugh!!! I hate when work stuff like that happens! It's so annoying!

If I would have left with that zpack I would be dead by now. I'm soooooo allergic to them.

Ink Obsession Designs said...

Oh no! That totally sucks about your presentation.

I hope you are feeling better!

Lis said...

Ugh I'm so sorry about the presentation - that's awful!!! :(

And please keep us posted about your health. I'm having a hard time with dizziness right now and they have currently tested me for everything under the sun and I'm starting to get so scared. You'll be in my thoughts!!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

oh no, that stinks!! i hope you still have a great trip and the prep for the presentation goes by much faster than you expect=) and i am sorry about the trip to the doc too, saying a prayer for you=)!!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

No kidding! I would think it'd be through the roof! I'm sure everything will be okay - I've had some odd EKGs in the past that all turned out well. Wishing you the best!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

That sucks about you work. try to have a good vacation anyways!

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

That stinks about the presentation - hope you're able to prep quickly and then enjoy your time off :-) Keep us posted on the results of the cardiology visit!

Lucky in Love said...

Work always gets in the way no matter what you do. Sucks.

I'm so sorry to hear about your heart issues...and I'm praying that you are okay!

Hope you are able to enjoy your time at home!!

LauraAnn said...

I hope everything goes okay with your cardiologist meeting! My dad has such a low resting heart rate, he always sets off the alarms whenever they hook him up to machines for tests because his heart rate is so low and his blood pressure is low. The doctors aren't concerned about it so hopefully that is the case with you!

That totally sucks that you have a presentation the morning after vacation. You poor thing! Good luck and try to enjoy your vacation and not worry about it too much!

Sarah said...

Gosh you are just having one crappy day aren't you?! I hope that they find that your heart is totally normal for you and that that powerpoint can be done in some down time that doesn't take away from your vacation fun!

Ashley said...

That is awful!!! I'm feeling sorry for you! Hopefully work won't ruin your entire vacation. :(

Amber said...

Oh no! I hope everything turns out OK with your heart, definitely keep us updated!

That really sucks about your presentation!!! I hope you still manage to have a good vacation. Maybe you could prep on the flight?