Monday, February 9, 2009

Not sure how to rate it

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

Mr. Ruby and I went to see "Revolutionary Road" this weekend- the new Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio movie. I heard excellent things about this movie and was super excited because who DIDN'T love the duo in Titanic???

I'm not quite sure how to explain my feelings toward the movie.

Did I like it? Yes. I really liked it. Oscar worthy? Yes. Most definitely. Did I get attached to the characters? Oh my goodness yes.

But, I can't put my finger on it...I don't know how to explain my feelings or if I would allow myself to see it again. It was the most real and enthralling movie I've seen. But there wasn't an ounce of action or plot development. However it made you THINK! It was one of those movies where you leave the theatre in utter silence, wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it, and are still thinking about it 2 days later.

I don't want to give anything away...and I won't. But I will say, it was by far the most depressing movie I've ever seen. From the very first scene, I felt overwhelmingly melancholy. And like I said, the feeling continued throughout my weekend. Yet, I didn't shed ONE tear during the actual movie! I couldn't believe it. I seriously cry in 1 in every 3 movies (ask my best friends or Mr. Ruby). I'm always crying. Yet, I didn't even glimmer a tear. Again, unexplainable.

I guess if I had to give it a review, I'd give it four and a half out of five stars. And I highly recommend it. It is just so REAL. Just make sure you have nothing else planned afterwards...because you'll be tied up in your thoughts. At least I was.

12 comments:

Wearing Mascara said...

Thanks for the review! This is on my list of movies to see... I'll let you know what I think when I get around to actually seeing it! :-)

The France Family said...

Oooo I really wanted to see that one! My best friend said it was definitely a "deep" movie. Thanks for the review!

ashley said...

girl, if the movie put you in a downer, read the book, lol. i mean, i was sad for days after reading it. BUT it was one of my favorite books i've read. I love things that explore relationships of all kinds, and this is definitely one of those. I haven't gone to see the movie yet, because I know I will have to be prepared to feel a little depressed afterwards, even though I know it will be worth it, lol.

AG said...

I'm so glad to hear you describe it this way because I know exactly what you mean. I haven't seen it yet but I've seen other movies that make me feel that way and I enjoy the thinking that comes after. Sometimes I have to see a movie a second time to let my thoughts rest.

Thanks for the review!

Piper Jacquelyn said...

Hmm, interesting. I would really like to see this - but I'm like you, I get so emotional. If it's a sad-mood inducing movie, I may have to wait for it to come out on dvd!

Amber said...

Wow, I definitely need to see that movie now after reading your post! The book is on my 'must-reads' list though and I usually like to read the book before watching the movie!

Janine / Being Brazen said...

I really want to see this film. Must go see it ASAP :)

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie yet but just the other day I heard someone say almost the same thing you did about it--they loved it but couldn't put their finger on what didn't set well with them about it.

Sweet Simplicity said...

I need to go see it. They are so good together.

Allison said...

I've heard such great things about this movie, but like you said, that it will kind of haunt you for hours/days after seeing it!
I LOVE Kate Winslet, so I really can't wait to see it!
Thanks for the review :)

Unknown said...

I want to see it, but I think I'll wait until it comes out on video!

Anonymous said...

I watched this movie about a month ago and I rewatched a few weeks back with my mom because she wanted to see it. It is definitely not one of those movies you want to watch over and over again but it does make you stop and think. It was a great movie but it was a downer.