Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thankfulness

I thank God every day for all that I am blessed with. Believe me, I have more than I could ever ask for, and I am truly so thankful for everything from my amazing job to my even more amazing hubby-pants. :)

But there are some moments in life when I am completely overwhelmed with thankfulness and feel so grateful for things that I don't normally think of. Today, I realized how thankful I am for my health and a for-the-most-part-very-easy-life. I NEED moments like today where I am humbled and realize how very lucky I am to be able to walk, see, hear, speak and learn with a full-functioning brain.

My company is sponsoring a telethon for Meeting Street, an organization that assists children with special needs. I was asked by our marketing department to participate with several others in making a commercial for the event. (To be aired in January on CBS...in Rhode Island only I believe). Well, I was given the wonderful opportunity to meet many of the children at Meeting Street some with minor disabilities and some with major life-altering disabilities. These children were so special and so sweet and truly touched my heart. It was all I could do to hold back tears (go figure). This experience also helped me to realize how easy I have it. I don't have to be fed from a feeding tube, I don't have to stay limited to a wheelchair for the rest of my life, and I am able to take care of myself without assistance from others.

It definitely makes me think twice about the next time I complain about the minor things...which really is everything compared to what these children have to deal with for their entire lives.

Nelson small picMeet Nelson.

This little cutie pie attends Meeting Street due to his developmental delays

3 comments:

CC said...

Wow, what an awesome experience. Stuff like that is always humbling and I think we need stuff like that to remind us how blessed we really are at times.

Mary Michal said...

Nelson is adorable. What a great experience for you. Sometimes we all need to be reminded of these things.

Anonymous said...

what an AMAZING opportunity, Angie!! It really puts things in perspective.

PS: I heart Nelson.